Monday, March 21, 2011

Crafty Monday - Make Your Own DELICIOUS Granola!

We eat a lot of granola here, chez Momogus. We consume veritable tanker ships' worth of fruit, yogurt and granola basically year-round. I had always bought granola from the supermarket, but then my friend Jeanne gave me some homemade granola as a Christmas present, and I saw the light!!

I begged her for the recipe and took it out for a spin this morning. Oh boy. I made two batches, which is approximately 10 cups. I ate about half of that, "testing" it. A friend of mine said, "Oh you'll never go back to storebought again." It was SO GOOD I couldn't believe it. And easy.


This is actually Molly Wizenberg's recipe from Bon Appetit. Here is the link if you want to read about her granola revelations.

Everyday Granola (a/k/a You'll Never Go Back To Storebought!)


Ingredients
  • 3 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 3 tablespoons (packed) brown sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon (generous) salt
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup assorted dried fruit [momogus note: I used dried cranberries and blueberries. I've also used chopped up dried apricots]

Preheat oven to 300°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Mix first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Stir honey and oil in saucepan over medium-low heat until smooth. Pour honey mixture over oat mixture; toss. Spread on prepared sheet. Bake until golden, stirring every 10 minutes, about 40 minutes [momogus note: mine took about 30 mins]. Mix in fruit after granola cools. Can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight.

Makes about 5 yuuuummmmmmyyyyy cups!! Now go run to the store and get the ingredients!!

1 comment:

debbieb0925 said...

As the recipient of your granola (and now granola maker maven myself) I have to say this is THE best granola EVAH! I went with golden raisins, craisins and blueberries along with walnuts (I didn't have pecans). And now I must try the chopped apricots!